This note from the Library papers makes reference to one of the Governor's great legal victories--the case where the Court interpreted the Will of William Hayes Ackland to create the renowned Ackland Art Museum at UNC Chapel Hill rather than Duke University:
Papers, 1937, 1941-1946, including financial records, of Gardner, Morrison & Rogers, and correspondence, legal documents, and research materials relating to cases handled by the firm. Best documented is the William Hayes Ackland estate case, which gave the University of North Carolina claim to funds provided by Ackland's will to build the present-day Ackland Art Museum. Included are scattered items relating to the Cannon Mills Company, Cone Export and Commission Company, Southern Railway Company , Peerless Oil & Gas Company, and North American Rayon Corporation. Files relating to North Carolina include one on the Boiling Springs Water Works and one on the Cleveland Foundation, Inc. (later the Gardner Foundation
Edwin Maurice Gill was born July 20, 1899 in Laurinburg, N.C., the son of Thomas Jeffries and Mamie (North) Gill. Gill attended Trinity College from 1922-1924, and thereafter practiced law in Laurinburg, N.C. He was elected to represent Scotland County in the North Carolina General Assembly from 1929-1931. At the conclusion of his term, Gill became private secretary to Gov. 0. Max Gardner. In 1933, Gov. J. C. B. Ehringhaus appointed Gill to head the North Carolina Paroles Commission. He served in this capacity until 1942, when Gov. J. Melville Broughton appointed him as Commissioner of Revenue. Edwin Gill joined the Washington, D.C. law firm of former Gov. 0. Max Gardner in 1949, and was appointed collector of internal revenue in North Carolina by President Harry S. Truman in 1950. In 1953, Gov. William B. Umstead appointed Gill as State Treasurer, an office which he held until 1976. Edwin Gill died July 16, 1978, and is buried in Laurinburg, N.C. (Source: Powell, W. S., ed., Dictionary of North Carolina Biography, Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina Press, 1986, Vol. 2, pp. 298 299).